Emigrating to Spain – Checklist
Many before you have left their home countries to settle in Spain permanently. Whether this is as a pensioner, to work, or to start a company, being an important step to take it requires careful thought before making and decisions. Below you will find a checklist with a few aspects you should think about before you decide to purchase a home. We advise you to get advise from a specialised tax-lawyer.
- Make a plan – connect this to the actions you are going to be taking
- Tell your family, friends and acquaintances, but also all the relevant institutions, (such as the government, subscriptions, taxes, insurance, banking, pension fund, etc.)
- Make sure you have digital identification – this way you can identify online on a website of your native government, get this if you are still registered at your native community, do this before you cancel this.
- Contact your health insurance, pension and tax office well in advance, this being at least 2 months before your move.
- Check how much your medical insurance covers at your current health insurance.
- If appropriate check the terms of your funeral insurance
- Make sure you have a valid passport and/or Identity card and a valid drivers license.
- Make copies of all your relevant documents
- Ask the municipality you are currently a citizen of for an international birth certificate and a marriage certificate
- Provide an international de-registration of citizenship in the municipality where you are registered
- Be sure to cancel your subscription cable, internet and phone.
- Cancel other subscriptions (such as gas/water/electricity, newspaper, magazines, associations, courses, etc.)
- Termination and subscription (household contents, liability, insurance, etc.)
- Cancelation of car insurance (cancellation statement)
- Make sure you have a copy of your medical record or an international health certificate (available on request from GP)
- If you are moving with pets, make sure they have a pet passport and make sure their vaccinations are updated
- Subscribe to the registration non-residents
- Ask a second e.dentifier for online banking (reserve scanner)
- Request accrues pension and value annuity contracts, (the value of the economic transactions at the time of emigration) to the pension insurer, apply as needed. Consult a specialist tax consultant.
- Terminate your current lease, gas, water, electricity and issue house keys