Settling In Spain - The Rules
By buying a property in Spain, you were probably planning on staying there some weeks or months of the year. Since the introduction of the Schengen agreement this has al become a lot easier, yet here are some guidelines that you may find useful:
- The N.I.E is needed to buy a house, to work, to put utilities on your own name, tax forms to file, etc.
- If you’re staying less than 3 months straight in Spain, you will only need a passport or an identity card to show.
- Also if you stay in Spain longer than 3 months you will not need a residence permit, a registration certificate is sufficient
- A declaration of permanent residence can be obtained if you live in Spain as a European for over 5 years time, this is when you are of retirement age or wen you have been declared unfit for work.
- As a permanent resident you have to register at the registry office